• be in the same boat 處境相同

 

直譯喺坐喺同一艘船上,意思喺有一樣嘅狀況。例如︰

 

It’s hard to choose between lover and family. I know how exactly you feel as I am in the same boat too.

在愛人和家人之間作出抉擇是一件艱難的事,我完全明白你的感受,因為我也經歷同樣的處境。

 

  • float one’s boat 是某人喜歡(或感興趣)的東西

 

所謂浮起船隻,其實就喺飄飄然咁,喺令人喜歡嘅意思。你可以說︰

 

It’s never easy to say goodbye, but I really hope that the next job will float your boat.

說再見從來不是一件容易的事,但我真的希望你會喜歡你下一份的工作。

 

  • rock the boat 惹麻煩

 

搖晃船隻明顯就喺十分危險嘅行為,所以喺指惹麻煩,你可以這樣提點別人︰

 

Remember to stay calm and never rock the boat when you are travelling to that city.

當你到了那個城市,記得要冷靜和不要惹麻煩。

 

  • when one’s ship comes in 當某人變得富有或成功

 

船喺呢度喺富有和成功的代名詞,而你可以這樣用︰

 

When my ship comes in, I promise to buy you everything you ever wanted.

我答應你,當我變得富有,就會把所有你想要的東西都買給你。

 

  • burn one’s boats 做事不留退路/破釜沈舟

 

燒船喺沒有回頭路,要背水一戰嘅意思,你可以這樣勸戒別人︰

 

Quitting your job is like burning your boats. So, you should have an in-depth plan before resigning and opening your own company.

辭退工作就是斷了自己退路,所以你應該在離職和開自己公司前,先有一個完整的計劃。

 

原來船係英文Idioms入面可以代指唔同嘅狀況,以後有唔同處境都可以用一用喇!