Delivering bad news can be disappointing, so we need some common phrases that can help us to show the feeling of that. When we are receiving some bad news, sometimes we may encounter a loss of words as it’s hard for us to make a response. In this passage, it would help you to find the right response when hearing the bad news.
Delivering bad news
- I regret to inform you that …
- I regret to inform you that your application is unsuccessful.
- I’m afraid that …
- I’m afraid that we might have to cancel the meeting.
- Unfortunately, ….
- Unfortunately, one of our team members is leaving this crew for further study in college.
How to respond to bad news
- I’m so sorry to hear that!
- I’m sorry to hear such awful news.
- I’m so sorry. That must be frustrating.
- If there’s anything I can help with, just let me know.
- I can’t believe what happened to you. I’m very sorry.
Remember to practice more before using them in your email or message!