Sometimes, when others questioned you about something that you haven’t got an idea or information, you can answer him/her by saying below expressions other than ‘I don’t know’! For friends, you can always use the straightforward approach, but if it’s in the workplace, you may consider offering help after admitting the fact that you didn’t know the answer.
In a straightforward way
- I have no idea.
- I have no clue.
- Your guess is as good as mine.
- I haven’t got the faintest idea.
- I am not sure.
- I am at a loss of word. / I am at a loss about what to do.
You don’t know the answer, but offer your help
- I will get back to you on that issue.
- That’s a good question. Let me find out for you.
- I will find out and inform you about that.
- I don’t have the information right now, but I can look it up for you.
- I need more time to carry on further investigation.
With these useful expressions, you can say ‘I don’t know‘ in other effective ways now! They can be used in daily conversations as well!