Hi there, I’m Jenna and welcome to Wall Street’s “Two-Minute English”. Today, I’ll give you some common statements and questions most commonly used in a clothing store.
Different ways of asking someone to SHOW you something:
- Can you show me the ….. please? (Informal)
- Could you show me the ….. please? (Informal / Formal / More Polite)
- Would you be so kind to show me the ….. please? (Formal)
- I’d like to see the ….. please.
- Could you direct me to the …. aisle please?
When you want to TRY something, you can say:
- Do you have any testers for these (lipstick) colours?
- Can I try it / them on, please?
- Could I try it / them on, please?
- Is it okay if I try this / these on?
- Where can I try it / them on?
- Where are the changing rooms, please?
If you’d like the shop assistant to give you a DIFFERENT SIZE OR COLOUR, you could say:
- Do you have it / them in size ….. please?
- Do you have this/these in a smaller / bigger / larger size please?
- Can I try the larger / small one please?
- Do you have it / them in a different colour please?
- This is a little too tight / loose, do you have another one?
When you finally decide what you want to BUY, you can say:
- Wow, this one is great. I’ll take it!
- This one is perfect, I’ll take it thanks.
- I’ll have this one, please!
- Can I buy the …. , please?
- How much is it / are they?
- I’d like to buy this one, please.
- I’d like to buy it / them, please.
Well, that’s all for this week’s “Two-Minute English”. Bye-bye.