It is said that IELTS writing expects candidates to restate the question in the opening paragraph. However, some people find it difficult to paraphrase the sentence. Here are some tips for paraphrasing.
- Graph = chart/diagram/figure/table/pie chart/line graph
- Data = information/statistics
- Trends = changes/differences
- Shows = illustrates/compares/forecasts/presents/provides
- The total number = the overall amount
- Features = functions/characteristic
- The process of paper recycling = how paper is recycled
- Exponential growth = grew exponentially
Vary noun phrases：
e.g. sales of different cars.
- purchases of private vehicles
- the number of various types of cars sold
- car sales/purchases
Common sentence structures
The graph illustrates the trends in ____between_____and_____.
= The figure presents the information about the changes in__________.
The diagram reveals that there are several differences between_______.
= The line chart shows how the _____ have differed_________________.